Sunday 2 September 2012

Gumi weekend


My first weekend on my own in Korea was spent with some great friends. We all finally got our act together and made plans to meet in Gumi. So I left Seongju around 12:55 Saturday afternoon and got a bus to Waeghan. When I got to Waeghan I went ahead and got my train ticket to Gumi. After walking around for an hour it was time to board the train at 2:38. I was in Gumi at 2:51. Yes that quick. Korean transportation is efficient if you can time it right. In order to get to Gumi I only travel for 45 or so minutes, it’s the waiting around for buses that is the drag.

When I got to Gumi I was welcomed by Beth Ann, Laura and Daniel. We knew that Gigi was headed that way but did not have a phone. Luckily while walking around we got a FB message from her saying she was at the restaurant using their wifi. After she made her way to us and we met up with Laura from New Zealand we explored Gumi and what it had to offer. It is so much larger than my little farm town and the snail towns that Beth Ann and Gigi live in.

For dinner we went to Waegook Cook. It is a western restaurant bar. They had a BBQ special going so we all enjoyed a ribye and beer. It was a beautiful night so we sat outside on the patio and caught up like it had been years since we had been able to have a normal English conversation.

I crashed at NZ Laura’s for the night. Sunday morning we woke up and made our way to lunch meeting up with everyone else before we headed back home. The walk from Laura’s apartment was terribly long, we walked for an hour not sure of where we were, just following the signs to the train station. But finally made it to lunch. We all enjoyed a great Korean barbeque lunch.

My train ride from Gumi was nice and short, hoping I could hop right onto the bus for Seongju I didn’t waste anytime getting to the bus terminal. Sadly, I had to wait an hour and a half for my bus. Not sure if the mad told me correctly I didn’t walk around. He was correct the bus was at 4:45. I was back in Seongju at 5:10.

It was so nice to get to spend time with some great friends after a crazy week of new adventures. We are already making plans to get together the September 14th weekend. First meeting in Gumi and going to Waegook for dinner on Friday and then all heading to Incheon on Saturday for a big Korean Wave. All K-Pop artist!! Most of us do not know anything about K-Pop so I’m sure it will be fun. I’m super excited for it!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment