Sunday 23 September 2012

Monday Morning Reflection

Most of my blog entries have been in the agenda form, telling all of you about my latest adventures. My first two classes, of 6th graders thankfully, were cancelled for the morning. So I have a little free time on my hands. I could be doing lesson plans, but lets face it, thats not a fun exciting way to spend a Monday morning. Instead I am sitting here reflecting on the last 5 weeks of my life. It is still hard to believe that I am actually living in Korea. I am a legal resident (I have an Alien Registration Card), I have a Korean cell phone plan, internet, and apartment, a bank about and soon to have my first pay day ever (other than Phelps & Campbell in high school). I am on my own for the first time. I am an adult. I cant wrap my brain around it, possibly because it has been a great adventure so far.
When I left Korea last summer I promised myself that I would be back one day. Like I told in many of my presentations to Lander University I left a piece of my heart in Korea. I feel at home here. No, it is not home, it is not Elberton or Greenwood (yes, I consider that home too. It is a place that will forever be part of my heart) and South Korea is not even the Deep South. But it is as close as you can get in the Eastern Hemisphere.
The people in this country are genuinely friendly. My little town is small but I feel like a local, especially in my normal restaurant. The ladies that work in there always greet me like I am one of their family members. I frequent there more than I ever did Migs in Greenwood, and we all know how often I went there. The students are wonderful inside and outside of school. It makes my day when I am walking around town and hear my name. Students are happy to see teachers outside of the school. It is such a delight.
Something that has made this whole new journey much easier is having friends here. Going to orientation for a week before we were sent to our towns was wonderful. The classes were great but making friends is what the most important thing we all believe was.
If it were not for that one week we would all be in our small towns on the weekends probably crying because we would not have anyone to hangout with. I have made so many new friends in the past 5 weeks, some at orientation and others on weekends while visiting friends. It is crazy how in a big town we still run into people we know. It is so comforting to know people.
The point of my long entry is to assure all of you back home that I am happy here. I love my job, I never thought I would like teaching but it isnt as bad as I thought it would be. Yes it has its challenges, but doesnt every job. Teaching ESL is different that being a regular teacher though I believe.
I know that I was sent here for a reason. I prayed so much about what I would do after college. Everything eventually, after lots of tears, fell into place and I got confirmation that I would be here in Korea. I know God sent me here for a reason, to make a difference. I just hope I can make a difference in my students because I know they will make an even bigger difference in mine.
I could never thank Dr. Ball, Dr. Park, BoYoung and Jeff enough for all of their hard work they put into establishing the Office of International Programs at Lander. If it were not for them I do not know what I would be doing at this time. I owe this journey to them. Thank you all so much, I will never be able to tell you enough how big of a difference you have made in my life.
I look forward to the next 11 months of my life and what it holds. If it is anything like the last 5 it will be beyond wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, for sharing your Monday Morning Reflection Blog. For technologies and academic projects visit our website
    Java Projects for Engineering Students on Takeoff Edu Group.
    Takeoff Edu Group.

    ReplyDelete