Monday 10 September 2012

Relaxing Weekend


This past Friday marked the end of my first full week of teaching. It felt so nice. All of my fellow EPIK teachers and I all felt so accomplished and exhausted. I decided to take it easy this weekend and stay in Seongju. I needed time to relax, gather my thoughts, finish unpacking and think about making lesson plans.

Friday after school I went to Daegu with my co-teacher. She took me to Home Plus, basically a big target. I didn’t really know of anything I needed but it’s good to know what they have so I can go back soon. We then went to a delicious, hole in the wall restaurant. It’s her 6-year-old sons favorite. We had spicy pork and then a helping of noodles. The pork was delicious. We ordered a second order of it because I found it so tasty. After dinner she drove me back to Seongju. Her apartment is Daegu is on the west side so it is only 20 minutes away.

Friday night I went to bed fairly early, I was worn out from the long grueling week of teaching. Saturday morning I woke up early to start the day. After enjoying a cup of coffee at a coffee shop in town I set out on a journey. Not sure really what I was doing I just walked around and explored. I knew I could see a temple from my school. I went and found it, but it looked abandoned. I then set out to explore the other side of town. I then found another temple. Not as large as many that I have scene but still nice for the small town. During my hike around town I was hoping to find a nice peaceful place to sit and think. But that did not really happen Saturday. Instead next thing I knew I had been walking around for two and a half hours. So I headed back to my apartment.

Saturday night I stayed up later than I had in a while so I could watch Game Day on ESPN when it came on. I am so thankful that I have found a website to watch most US channels.

Sunday morning I woke up in time to catch all of the Georgia-Mizzou game. What a great way to start the week off with a Georgia win!! After the game I went on another mission to find the park. It was about a 15 minute walk from my apartment. In this park there are 53 trees that were planted to keep the bad spirits away during the Chosung Dynasty. The trees are a type of willow and really cool looking as they have weathered over the years.

A lot of my friends and I were planning on going to Incheon/Seoul this weekend to go to a K-pop Korean Wave Concert. We were sadly informed that it had been cancelled.  So that put a bit of a damper on Sunday night.

Monday morning came, and I was hoping that it would be better than last Monday. In deed it was. The 6th graders were much better today and the 6 long classes went by a lot quicker than I had anticipated. Tuesday I will be teaching a 1st grade class and 3 2nd grade classes alone. I have prepared a lesson on the letter A, B, C, D and E. I hope they like it and find it educational.

Since our weekend plans were canceled we are all figuring out a new plan. The long weeks of teaching are great but we need to treat ourselves on the weekend. Traveling on the bus system and train system is so cheap here it makes it easy to travel.

This country has so much to offer someone. You just have to set out to get it. Being in this far away land I learned a lot about myself and still have a lot to learn. The friends I have already made will always be special to me.

During my day and walks around town I think of so much that I want to say in my blog. But then I sit down to write and it is not possible to even put into words the things I feel here. To put it the best ay I can it is simply amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment