Tuesday 18 September 2012

Teachers get to play on the weekends.... Typhoon Sanba doesn’t play!!


The weekend could not have come at a better time. Friday was longer than it ever has been. As soon as 4:30 rolled around I went running down the steps of the school. I headed to my apartment to pack and freshen up before heading out on a 5:30 bus to Waeghan. I had a little time to kill in Waeghan before my train left, so I treated myself to Dunkin Donuts. It was much needed. That was the first American chain food restaurant Ive had since I left home.

As always the train ride to Gumi was short and easy (12 minutes). Like I told my friends I could not wait to get off of the train in Gumi because I knew I would be with my friends and get to hugs!! I didnt realize how needy I was of physical contact I was until I moved here. Not getting hugs from family and friends on a daily basis is tough. My heart was happy as soon as I saw my friends at the train station.

For dinner Daniel, Beth Ann, both Lauras and I went back to Waegook Cook. They were welcoming all of the new foreigners that night so we met a lot of other people that were from the Gumi area. Gigi and Shirley eventually got there after around 3 hours of traveling down. After a delicious dinner and a few song requests, Wagon Wheel included, some of us headed to a foreigners bar, ironically named Coronas.

Unfortunately we were not thinking about living for Pohang at 7:50. We didnt get home until a little after 3am. So our nap was very short, up at 6am to leave. The bus ride to Pohang was a little over 2 hours. We slept most of the way. Once we got to Pohang it was raining and it never stopped and I mean NEVER!!

We got a cab to a really big outdoor market. Like most markets it has tons of fresh produce and seafood. After exploring that are we happened upon a cute little part of town that had a lot of American brand restaurants and was very clean. We decided on KFC. I never eat KFC at home, but none of us could turn down friend chicken and biscuits.

While having lunch Courtney, Vee, Sarah, Micah and Keelie found us.  Courtney and Keelie live in Pohang and were hosting us for the weekend. We hung out in the shopping area and had Starbucks before splitting off to head to the different apartments to take a power nap before the evening.

I crashed as soon as we got to Courtneys. For dinner my group decided to go to a good local restaurant where they cook in front of you on the table. After dinner we then headed out for the night. We went to two different bars that mainly draw the foreigners (really teachers or Marines). Having time to relax and act our age is a must after a week of teaching!

As many people back in the States have probably heard in the media the past few days Gangnam Style is now a world wide sensation. Psy is Korean and has been around for over a decade. His new hit Gangnam Style is all the rage now. Psy was actually on The Today Show Friday morning. When we song was played in the bars this weekend all of us went crazy. We might as well, we are in Korea.

Sunday morning came and it was once again to say good bye to friends and a great weekend. We barely made the bus back to Gumi, but it was great timing. 2 hours later we were in Gumi. Twenty minute later I boarded my short train ride to Waeghan. It was still raining and there wasnt going to be a bus for another 2 hours. So I decided to just get a cab for the 12 minute ride to Seongju. If it had been nice outside I would have waited. But after all of the rain in Pohang I was sick of it. Little did I know that was only the beginning.

Sunday night Facebook was full of postings of school being cancelled for kids, so I text my teacher. I had to go in on Monday students did not. It was raining pretty heavy on the way to school, or so I thought. After lunch I was told I could go home. By the time I got home (5-8 minute walk) my jeans looked like they had been taken out of the washing machine, they were soaking wet. This was at 12:30 the water on my way home was ankle to mid calf deep but manageable.

By 2:30 when I looked out the water was waist deep in my area. People were walking in it trying to get home or to other places. The stores that I could see were flooded. The entrance to my apartment was taking on water. On the other side of the pass door there are 5 steps and a landing area then another 5 steps up to the first floor of apartments (technically 2nd flood). Water was just a few inches away from covering the landing area. I would say they water was 3 and a half feet deep in my neighborhood.

Other parts of town barely had any flooding. One of my fellow EPIK teachers in the area lives a few blocks away and it was worse around his building. There obviously wasnt anything I could do so I made rice and settled in. for I thought it would be a few days before things were back to normal. As I was watching TV I heard my doorbell ring. When I went to the door there was a plate of grapes and a sweet note from my neighbor. The note was in Korean but I knew it was sweet. It made my night to know that someone cared about the little American teacher living in the building. Surprisingly before I went to sleep I could once again see the road. Covered in mud, but yes it was drivable again.

I woke up Tuesday morning just knowing it would be another teacher work day, to much surprise I eventually saw kids walking to school. Today has not been crazy like I would expect after the disaster in the town yesterday. But that may be a good thing.

Other areas of Korea that my friends live in did not have the flooding that my area did. I am so thankful that I have an apartment not on ground level. Witnessing the events yesterday was something that I never knew was possible. It was like what we always see on TV I am just thankful that I was safe in my apartment.

Last but not least I am loving everything Korea has to offer. I have people in my town that I like to hang out with during the week that make the weeks not seems as long. I could not have asked for a better group of friends to bond with so quickly and be able to see so often on the weekends!!

Thanks for all of the prayers. Love you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment