Thursday 6 September 2012

Positive Thoughts

Monday was tough, but I did not know what to expect with 6th graders all day. So that only meant the week would get better.

Tuesday was a good day. I taught one class of 1st graders and 3 classes of 2nd graders by myself. It was a challenge due to the fact the previous EPIK teacher did not use a book. There is actually not a national curriculum until grade 3. So it is up to the teacher to teaching the students. For that day I planned to just see what kind of level the students were on and see their personalities. So we learned the Ice Cream Calendar Song, Head Shoulders Knees and Toes and In, Over Under.

This too was a challenge because I was going in totally blind folded because I had never observed these lower grades. I am excited about the rest of the year with them though. Hopefully I can teach them a lot so they will be prepared for grade 3 English.

Wednesday was spent co-teaching grade 3. In co teaching situations I am mainly there for listening and speaking exercises. I basically get to talk and students repeat what I say, it’s pretty cool.

Today, Thursday, I taught grade 4 alone. My heart was pounding out of my chest before I stepped into the first class room. The lesson the students were on was titled, “That’s a Good Idea.” I have CDs that go along with the textbook, but they are mainly in Korea for the instructions of how the program runs. So it was hard to work when I played with them at school. So I decided to get on Waygook.org, a website for foreign teachers in Korea. It is our lifeline. Everyone post powerpoints and other lesson plans specific for each textbook.

I found a few powerpoints and then added my own twist. The last exercise was asking the students what they thought a good idea was. I used examples like hanging out with friends, listening to music, dancing.... I then asked if “Gangnam Style” was a good idea. Each time the class went wild, a good wild. I played the song and we all danced. It was a hit.

I felt accomplished in each of the classes because the students were actively participating in the lesson. I left each classroom with a big smile on my face. For now on I will probably be known as the teacher who let the kids dance on the first day. I’m hoping to include a fun dance at the end of each lesson. More American music like the electric slide, cha cha slide, cupid shuffle. Anything that the students can catch on to and also look forward to.

My nights this week have consisted at eating at the same restaurant, something different each night. I am learning to read Korean by reading their menu. It actually works. My walks to and from school are high points in my day. I walk with my students. I engage them in short conversation. Hoping that I am helping them out, I know it helps me. It brightens my day when  hear from behind me, “Teacher Corbin!!”




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this blog its was nice reading it. For technologies visit our website Image Processing Projects with Source Code on Takeoff Edu Group.

    ReplyDelete