Thursday 23 August 2012

Keumsan Temple, Hanok Village and Culture Center

Let me start off by saying there are a little over 300 EPIK teachers at this orientation ranging in age from 22 to around 40 probably.Now, let's just say we were all ecstatic about taking a field trip. Groups 4-6 went to he Keumsan Temple first. Like all of the other temples I have visited in my Asian travels, this one still looked the same as others. But I put my game face on because we were getting to have free time. The temple was located int he mountains. It was gorgeous walking towards it. Very calming and relaxing. There was a little stream ares that we all played in when we were headed back to the bus. My Chocos were the key to jumping from rock to rock in the river!! Getting to have free time with my new friends was so much fun. I am really bonding with a lot of people and making great memories. I've met so many people from all over.

After the temple we went to have lunch. This region of Korea is known for their bibimbop. Which literally means mixed rice. It is a big bowl with an array of different veggies and usually a little ground beef and a friend egg. You then put a bowl of rice in it and mix it up. It was delicious!!!! Hardly any of us could finish or portions of it. We got to explore the little village area we were in after lunch before heading to our next activity. But in the mean time we had to complete our homework from the Korean class. We had to go up to 5 strangers and say our key phrases.
1. Say hello
2. Introduce ourselves
3. Tell them where we were from
4. Tell them it was nice to meet them
5. Say thank you
Once we completed those task they signed the slip of paper. I was nervous at first but soon got over that and walked up to random people without any trouble.

The next stop on our field trip was to the culture center were we learned native dances and made a paper pencil box. The best part of the culture center was learning to play the drums. It was the same type drums as we saw in the opening ceremony. I was shocked at how quickly everyone caught on, minus one guy who couldn't keep the beat to save his life. We were all laughing like crazy at him.

When we got back from the field trip it was time for dinner. After a great meal a lot of the guys decided to play soccer Brits v. Americans. Some of us girls decided this would be something worth watching. Surprisingly, to all of us, Americans showed the Brits and beat them 8-4. MERICA!!!

After the soccer game a group gathered int eh lobby to play some crazy card game, that I have yet to understand. But still it was fun to watch.

Today we have class, class, class, class oh and then Korean.... needless to say we will all be exhausted once again tonight. I can't believe this whirlwind of a week is almost over with. I'm sad to leave my new friends, but excited to start real life. Luckily, the friend I have made are in my province, let's just hope we are in near by cities!!

No comments:

Post a Comment