Friday 31 August 2012

Getting the final pieces in place...



Wednesday I went to school at 8:30 to start observing. I observed a few classes (I believe 3rd graders). We got to sing “Siddamarink a dink a dink.” I forgot how much fun kids songs really were. After lunch HyunJin and I went to Daegu to sign up for my ARC card (Alien Registration Card). We took a bus to part of Daegu then got on the subway. It took around an hour and a half to get there. By doing this I now feel comfortable navigating it myself without having a Korean to lead me. Public transportation is so easy here, just knowing to how to work it in the beginning is tough. But you are set afterwards. I for see many trips to Daegu and other places in my future!!

Once we got to the immigration place it was an easy process of handing over a form, picture and passport. They gave me a form saying I applied for my card. It should arrive in 3 weeks or so. Afterwards we headed back to Seongju to attempt to get me a phone. After being in a store for an hour they told us we couldn’t do it. I was upset but didn’t let it show. Not having a phone or internet at my apartment is a little annoying just because I can’t keep in touch easily, or even attempt to lesson plan.

Since the phone deal was a fail I decided to order one from the Arrival Store along with some other items that are much needed like a pillow, real sheets, a comforter, towels, cleaning supplies… the basic items westerners are used to. The ones I have here are Asian style, not what I am accustomed to. But will work for now. After spending time at the PC Bang and making conversation with the guy that works there about the weather I headed home. Every time I walk anywhere (I walk every where by the way. No town buses, small town) I run into students. I know this because I always here “Hi Teachaaa!!” It’ so nice knowing I have people that know me. I’m the local celebrity because I’m foreign haha. But for real, the parents all bow if they are with their kids. Kind of weird but nice.

Thursday morning I woke up to torrential rains, I’m talking worse that the typhoon on Tuesday. But we did have school. I was soaking wet knees down by the time I got to school. Crazy thing I’m here for a few days and have gone through two typhoons already. Part of the morning I spent just “desk warming.” This is a term we learned at orientation for when you really aren’t told what is going on so you just sit at your desk and surf the Internet until told to what to do. After the first period I decided to make my way to the English classroom. After observing one lesson I basically taught the other 2 classes. Go me!! After lunch HyunJin and I went to the bank to set up my account so we could try another phone store. Luckily on of my students mom has a phone store so we worked our magic and got me a phone!! So when my temporary phone from the Arrival Store comes in I will ship it back for a refund.

I finally feel semi connected to the world, or at least my friends here. Still working on getting internet at my apartment, hoping it will be Wi-Fi and not where I have to plug it in. but hey, I can’t be too picky. As always later in the evening I went to my PC Bang (notice I said ‘my’) I talked with the guy at the desk. He helped me change my phone to English. So nice!! He laughs every time I come in or Nicola (another English teacher I met at orientation) comes in because we always need to get online. Nicola and I decided to grab a pizza afterwards. It is a really cute pizza place across the street.

Once again walking home I walked most of the way with various students and a few parents. My friends and I are still trying to work out plans for the weekend. Not sure what we will do, or where we will meet but we all miss each other dearly!


No comments:

Post a Comment