Thursday 9 August 2012

And so the life I have always known is almost over...

At the age of 22 and a half years old I am jumping ship. Starting a new life. Doing something totally spontaneous and random. I, Corbin Childs, an only child from a really small town, college graduate with a BS in Mass Communications am moving to South Korea for one year to teach English. Crazy, I know. But hey, if I don't do it know I will fall into that trap called adulthood that one does not get out of until they retire.

My love for traveling started in high school when I went to Japan for two weeks. I have loved the adrenaline and sense of the unknown every since. Last summer (2011) I went to Korea for 5 weeks and fell in love with the country. I promised myself that I would soon be back. Little did I know that the opportunity would be so soon.

The next week of my life is going to be a roller coaster ride. I am moving from my beloved Grace Street apartment in Greenwood, SC. I have lived here in 138 for two and a half years. Many memories have been shared here. From pre-gaming for sorority formals to movie nights with neighbors to being the place that you always knew would be fun. I have described Greenwood as a black hole. If you don't get out soon you never will, something will always draw you back to this crazy town. I have had so many amazing memories in this town since September 2008. It changed me forever, I could not imagine going to school anywhere else. Lander University gave me opportunities that many other schools never could have.

As I move out of 138 it will be a very sad day. But I know that my next step in life will be worth it. I will be flying out to Korea on August 18th and arriving on the 19th. I will meet others that are in my province (Gyeongbuk) and we will have a week of orientation for EPIK.

Stay posted throughout the year for stories and updates. I hope to eventually have video style blogging and pod cast. (Putting my mass comm degree to use).




1 comment:

  1. Corbin, great good luck as you begin your adventure. S. Korea has always been very kind and good to my family during our visits- Immerse yourself in the culture, visit around the area if you can, be safe, and keep us posted. You rock!!

    Professor Murray...

    ReplyDelete