Tuesday 27 November 2012

Sokcho, Andong, Busan, Thanksgiving...


As I write this blog I am listening to Christmas music, drinking hot tea and looking at the Christmas lights I just hung around my apartment. I ordered a Christmas tree too. It should be in soon. It just wouldn’t seem right not to have a few decorations up during the season.
The past few weeks have been busy with teaching classes, and random weekend trips. The weekend after my last blog entry a crew and I went with a big tour group on a hiking trip to Sokcho. Sokcho is in the far north province. We believe we were less than an hour from the North Korean border. We visited Seoraksan National Park. It was beautiful. Unfortunately we got there too late to real hiking so we just took a short trail and saw some beautiful sites. We also got to ride four-wheelers for an hour at a park. It felt good to be back on one. It was a great way to spend a fall Saturday afternoon. It was nice to get to travel with many different people, all teachers either EPIK or hagwan.
The next weekend most of us went to Jinbo and stayed with Gigi and Shirley. While we were there we went to Cheongsung to the apple festival. The apples in this country are the size of softballs. No joke! They are so juicy and delicious. It was nice to have a very relaxed weekend in a small town.
The following weekend 4 of us girls went to Busan to celebrate one of the birthday of a British guy we met at orientation. It was a wild and crazy Saturday night for sure. The group we were with really knows how to celebrate for sure.  As always Busan doesn’t disappoint and it won that battle. Needless to say when I got home that Sunday night I was in bed at 7:30 and out for the night.
This past weekend was spent with a few of the girls in Gumi/Daegu. It was a girls weekend, and much needed. No plans, just whatever we felt like doing. Hopping on the train to go to Daegu for dinner and a movie (Breaking Dawn Part 2) or whatever we felt like doing.
My weekdays continue to be the same with teaching classes and coming home and going to dinner or attempting to cook for myself. Not having an oven makes it tough to cook. Plus not having normal ingredients. I have gotten better though. I did manage to cook myself blue berry pancakes one night. Thankfully I did get a package from my grandma with grits in it. So that is always my back up plan.
This past Friday my school had their festival/talent show. Each class performed a dance or song. It was so cute. I have the most talented students in the world. They were adorable.
I spent Thanksgiving night with my fellow EPIK teachers here in Seongju, unfortunately we had pizza.. not the normal Turkey Day meal. But still I was thankful for the fellowship that night. But for Christmas my friends and I are gathering the weekend before and having a big meal and exchanging gifts. My contribution will be cooking grits for everyone. Many have never had grits because they aren’t from the South. I’m excited I have such a great group of close friends to share the holiday with. Unfortunately I have to work Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas but I will get to go to Gumi to meet with a few others in the area to spend Christmas Eve night with each other and wake up together.
Next Wednesday is my birthday. Is makes me sad that I won’t be home for it but We are celebrating this weekend (Gumi/Daegu) and next weekend (Seoul). I’m going to make it the best I can. The last two birthdays weren’t too exciting. I turned 21 on a Sunday, so Greenwood’s Blue Laws put s stop to that night early. My 23rd birthday was spent in the library studying for a Spanish test. So needless to say I am ready for a great night to celebrate my birth and to becoming older. Ahh 23.. sounds so mature.. that is scary!!!
Something else I am looking forward to is BoYoung (Lander Office of International Programs) coming to Korea! She will be in Daegu with her family. So I will get to see her to catch up and have a piece of Lander with me.
As Christmas is quickly approaching I find myself getting sad but then I remember how lucky I am. I miss my family and they miss me but I am still loving my life here. I am so thankful for my friends here, because we are all in the same position. This is many of our first Christmas away from home so as the song says, “I get my with a little help from my friends.”
Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving and are getting your Christmas shopping done. I can’t wait to get packages from home with my birthday and Christmas gifts!!!


These are pictures from the Sokcho weekend. 








Here is the video link from the school festival.






1 comment:

  1. Thank you,for sharing nice blog.Are you looking up for technologies and academic projects visit our website link.
    HVDC Projects

    ReplyDelete